11 Ways To Self-Motivate When You're Stuck In a Rut.




To a runner, there is no greater joy than hitting the trails. Although I'm no professional (as yet), I do consider myself to be a runner. Why? Because I love to run!One thing that I've gotten over is comparing myself to anyone and beating myself up for things that should've, could've or otherwise would've been. I try to take everything in stride (pardon the pun) and trust that as long as I keep the right attitude, things will progress. There goes the title of this blog because it's all about making slow and steady progress and not trying to jump into perfection all at once.

After about two years of hitting it hard when it comes to running, I find that periodically, my passion for it dwindles and I have to conjure up everything inside to get back into the flow of things. I'm sure this is the case for many of us and we have, over time, found ways to reawaken the beast within. For me there are countless reasons why I should NOT be running: 

a) unemployment
b) limited finances
c) limited resources
d) blah, blah, blah

But when you think about it, running's free! Even if I couldn't afford running shoes, I can always run in the sand at the beach nearby.  Yea right! When there's a will, there's most definitely always a way.

Some of my methods of stay motivated are the same as when I started and some new tricks I have found to be quite effective. Knowing yourself is the key.

 1. Every few days/weeks, find new, inspirational music that ignites your soul and makes you feel like you can fly. When you can recite a song backwards, forwards and sideways, you know it's time for some new tunes.


2. Lace up and get out there! You will never overcome yourself and accomplish anything if you sit around feeling lousy. Some days you have reasonable excuses (reasons) why you simply cannot hit the road. Maybe it was raining for the entire day or the roads are still wet from the storm the day before. Find a way to get around things such as those like by doing laps by the nearest park or by heading to the beach to run the sand. When there's a will, there is a way.

3. Invest in your passion. Treat yourself to new gear or an accessory that makes running more enjoyable. For me, when my music is limited, I feel completely lost. My phone battery power was drained by using this new blue-tooth headset a few times and so about thirty minutes into my run, my phone beeps with a "low battery" alert. It lasts about one more song and then shuts down. When this happens, my whole reserve of energy shuts down also. This shouldn't be but it is. Try to make your run easy, breezy and avoid cumbersome gadgets that take away your focus from your surroundings and zap  your motivation. 


4. Set some new goals. Has it ever occurred to you that you're just bored out of your wits? Well then it's time to amp up your routine and give yourself a new challenge. In the beginning of my running journey, I thought the excitement and thrill would never fade. I couldn't believe that I hadn't been doing this from I was much younger. I had goals and with each one of them I achieved, I felt more eager to get out there and achieve another. When the goals were over, so was the thrill. "What now?", is the question and so we must continue to test ourselves to keep the "livingness" alive in everything that we do.

5. Ignore pessimists who think you're crazy. They secretly admire you and just can't fathom how you stay motivated to practically kill yourself running tens of miles each week and stay so happy while doing so.


6. Realize and always remember that you're inspiring someone.  This is a big one that boosts motivation for me. Keep in mind that you will not know this right away. People tend to see you over a period of time and realize that you've stuck to your plan over the long-haul. They respect your self-discipline and gusto. 





7. Give yourself a pat on the back. You've done extremely well and have plenty to be proud of. Don't give into negative self-talk like we humans love to do. Stay positive and stay focused. 

8. Remember why you started in the first place. Reset your mind and start over from the top. Correct mistakes that you see have hindered your progress and redo your tendencies to make it a new experience for you.


9. Stop comparing yourself to others. You can only do you and that's what everyone else out there is doing. They don't have it all right either and have to pull all they have from within to get out there and keep it going. We're all on this journey alike; trying to get things figured out for ourselves. Comparison is one of the greatest killers of motivation. Some beg to disagree but comparison and inspiration are two completely different things.


10. See that you are a part of a whole different community of weirdos who totally ''get you''. Only another runner knows what it takes to do what you/we/they do. That's what sets you apart from everyone else. You've got gusto and would prefer to put in the work to get the rewards. 

11. Think of it as giving yourself a gift. Only runners or hardcore work-out junkies know about that exuberant high that comes after a solid session. In my opinion, it's the greatest form of therapy I've come to know. When it's just you, nature and the road you can peacefully gather and sort your thoughts. You burn and sweat out all of the nagging anxieties, burdens, stresses and fears of that day and afterwards walk with a fearless confidence that many don't have or understand. You feel a sense of accomplishment that paves the way for everything else that comes along in your life. In other words, "you run the day, the day doesn't run you!" I love that!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Secrets For Exercise Success.

Not So Easy Come, Easy Go! Bittersweet Work Tale.

Friends With The Monsters...